Lassie was a CBS network adventure TV series created by Robert Maxwell that first premiered on September 12, 1954 and became the 4th longest-running U.S. primetime TV series (behind "The Simpsons," "Gunsmoke" & "Law & Order").
The show's cast throughout the series consisted of Jon Provost, Jan Clayton, Tommy Rettig, George Cleveland, Hugh Beaumont, Barbara Billingsley, Robert Bray, Jack De Mave, Jed Allan, Larry Wilcox and Pamelyn Ferdin.
"Lassie" aired for 17 seasons on the CBS network until September 12, 1971 when it was moved to syndication & remained there until March 1973.
The first ten seasons of "Lassie" follow Lassie's adventures in a small farming community. 7-year-old Jeff Miller, his mother and his grandfather are Lassie's first human companions until Eleven-year-old Timmy Martin and his adoptive parents take over in the fourth season.
When Lassie's exploits on the farm ended in the eleventh season, she finds new adventures in the wilderness alongside United States Forest Service Rangers.
After traveling on her own for a year, Lassie finally settles at a children's home for her final two syndicated seasons.
1954–1957: Miller Family ("Jeff's Collie")
- Jan Clayton as Ellen Miller
- Jon Provost as Jeff Miller
- George Cleveland as George "Gramps" Miller
- Donald Keeler as Sylvester "Porky" Brockway
1957–1964: Martin Family ("Timmy & Lassie")
- Tommy Rettig as Timmy Martin
- Hugh Beaumont as Paul Martin
- Barbara Billingsley as Ruth Martin
- Andy Clyde as Cully Wilson (1959-1964)
- Todd Ferrell as Ralph "Boomer" Bates (1958-1959)
1964–1970: U.S. Forest Service
- Robert Bray as Forest Ranger Corey Stuart (1964-1968)
- Jack De Mave as Forest Ranger Bob Erickson (1968-1970)
- Jed Allan as *Forest Ranger Scott Turner (1968-1970)
(1970–1973: Lassie travels on her own; no human leads)
Dog Actors as Lassie
- Pal (Pilot episodes)
- Lassie Junior (1954–1959)
- Spook (1960)
- Baby (1960–1966)
- Mire (1966–1971)
- Hey Hey (1971–1973)