Sonic the Hedgehog is an upcoming adventure film based on the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise by Sega. The film is directed by Jeff Fowler (in his feature directorial debut) and written by Patrick Casey, Josh Miller, and Oren Uziel, from a story by Van Robichaux and Evan Susser. It stars Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic and Jim Carrey as Sonic's nemesis Doctor Robotnik, alongside James Marsden and Tika Sumpter. In the film, a small-town sheriff assists Sonic as he attempts to escape the government.
Sonic the Hedgehog was originally scheduled for release on November 8, 2019. But, after negative fan reaction to the first trailer, which was released on April 30, Paramount Pictures delayed the film to February 14, 2020, pledging to redesign Sonic.
Tom Wachowski, a San Francisco Police Department officer-turned-newly appointed Sheriff of Green Hills, Montana, journeys from Green Hills to San Francisco to assist Sonic, an anthropomorphic extraterrestrial blue hedgehog who can run at incredible speeds, in evading capture by the government, collecting his rings, and defeating the insane scientist Doctor Robotnik.
- Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic, an anthropomorphic extraterrestrial blue hedgehog who can run at supersonic speeds and is on the run from the government.
- Jim Carrey as Dr. Ivo Robotnik, a scientist and inventor plotting world domination who is also Sonic's archenemy.
- James Marsden as Tom Wachowski, a former SFPD officer-turned-newly appointed sheriff of Green Hills, Montana who befriends Sonic and aids him in his quest to stop Dr. Robotnik.
- Tika Sumpter as Dr. Annie Wachowski.
- Adam Pally as a fellow police officer of Green Hills and a friend of Tom Wachowski.
- Neal McDonough as Major Bennington.
Additionally, Lee Majdoub appears as Stone, an agent who works closely with Dr. Robotnik. Frank C. Turner also appears as Crazy Carl. Natasha Rothwell, Debs Howard, Elfina Luk, Riff Raff and Garry Chalk are cast in undisclosed roles.